Sunday, May 22, 2011

Solo Adventure


On Friday we had some optional activities in the afternoon.  This gave me the opportunity to go do some of the things I had always wanted to do in Japan.  Shortly after a business meeting, I took off on my own in search of some car tuning shops.  Auto tuning has been an interest of mine, and I knew it was also very popular in Japan.  I’ve really enjoyed seeing all the different cars, and I’m sure most of my classmates think I’m odd for taking multiple photos of different cars.
So getting back to my hike around Tokyo, I did manage to find a couple shops.  Some of the highest quality, highly sought after parts are made in Japan, and I enjoyed being able to see the headquarters of some of those companies.  One of the companies I was able to visit is a company called Spoon Sports.  They had racing modified versions of the hybrid Honda CR-Z, and several other Honda cars.  I could have sat there and ogled them all day.
The one mishap was when I went to the Jun tuning shop, and found out it was the machining shop and not the showroom.  The Japanese owner seeing my confusion was able understand what I was saying, he then worked hard to give me directions to the showroom.  I was impressed to see the employee going out of the way to help me, while struggling with the language.  It was yet another example of how accommodating and gracious the Japanese can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment